Friday, April 17, 2009

Andrew Bird aka Dr. Stringz

Once, a long time ago (like 3 years) I went to see a Nickel Creek concert in Spokane, WA. I was a little bit chagrined when another act came on beforehand and I had to wait to see one of my all time favorite groups. This artist turned out to be a little strange and a little entertaining, but once Nickel Creek got on stage I basically forgot about him. One thing I did remember, however, was that he whistled. A lot.

Now fast forward to earlier this week in Starbucks. I was getting an iced mocha and checking out the cds there as I waited. One was an artist named Andrew Bird, and it described him as being known for his whistling. I had to check him out on youtube and what I found was astounding. He definitely is the man I saw so many years ago, but I didn't know he was also a superhero who fixed stringed instruments for puppets.

I love this video for many reasons. Here are a few of them:
- sing alongs with puppets
- the unique instrument that he fixes
- and Dr. Stringz' magical whistling powers

No comments: