Monday, April 23, 2007

The Future

I work at Excelsior Youth Center. Today I went to a new employee orientation for 7 1/2 hours even though I've worked there 4 months now. It actually wasn't that bad. One enjoyable thing was meeting the CEO for the first time. He talked to us about his job and purpose there, etc. He also said that his mission statement for the place is to "connect these kids with their future." He explained that you can't change what happened in the past, and for these kids the past is scarring and painful for the most part. So our job is to try to help them realize that they can work towards a better future. On any given shift I feel like we are just trying to make it through another few hours, but I hope that on the whole my mission in working there would be to help the kids I hang out with see that they are good because they are human and their lives can and do have unlimited value and purpose. Even if it isn't always tangible or practical, the hope is there.

No comments: